Ethical Decisions in the WorkplaceAfter reading your background readings, please review the following scenario and address the questions at the end. Jerry Stevens heads up an excavation crew for the municipal utilities district in a city in Nebraska. A sewer line needs to be replaced and it has been excavated with a back-hoe. The trench is 7 feet deep. The municipality’s safety rules indicate that employees should not go into the trench without a trench box. This rule is to prevent employees from being buried if the trench walls collapse. People die every year from trench cave-ins. The trench box won’t arrive on site for another 6 hours and the city promised residents that the sewer would be fixed by the end of the day, which now seems impossible. The City Administrator called Jerry on his cell phone and indicated that it was imperative that the sewer be fixed as soon as conceivably possible because a City Council member is served by that sewer line and will raise a fuss if it’s not fixed by the promised time. One of the more experienced workers states, “It’s only going to take 30 minutes to dig under the pipe and loosen the fittings. We don’t need the trench box. We used to do this all the time before we were required to use one of those darn things.”Jerry knows he’s right. He used to do it himself before the rule was put in place. Also, the soil is clearly a cohesive soil and it’s highly unlikely that it will collapse. And although there is an organizational policy to use a trench box for trenches deeper than 5 feet, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) does not haveJurisdiction over municipalities in Nebraska because municipalities are political subdivisions of the State. The only entity regulating safety policies is the City’s Safety Director and he took the day off. In this scenario, to what extent do you think allowing the crew into the trench without a trench box would be pushing (or exceeding) the limit? Discuss any ethical grey areas in this scenario? What in your mind is the right thing to do? What is the value of having an ethics program (and related programs like safety programs) and what are the responsibilities of front line leaders/supervisors and the workers when they face dilemmas such as the one described?SLP Assignment ExpectationsPlease take some time to review the materials and take a position on the issue. Write a 2- to 3-page assessment of the authors’ claims, and your assessment of what might be done in a place of business to prevent the “moral amnesia” phenomenon from taking a foothold in a place of business.Your paper should be double-spaced and in 12-point type size.Your paper should have a separate cover page and a separate reference page. Make sure you cite your sources. Use APA style, and proofread your paper.Upload your paper by the end of the module.
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.