Descartes’ cogito ergo sum posits the idea that if we think, we exist. Or in Descartes’ own words: But I have convinced myself that there is absolutely nothing in the world, no sky, no earth, no minds, no bodies. Does it now follow that I too do not exist? No. If I convinced myself of something [or thought anything at all] then I certainly existed. But there is a deceiver of supreme power and cunning who is deliberately and constantly deceiving me. In that case I too undoubtedly exist, if he is deceiving me; and let him deceive me as much as he can, he will never bring it about that I am nothing so long as I think that I am something. So, after considering everything very thoroughly, I must finally conclude that the proposition, I am, I exist, is necessarily true whenever it is put forward by me or conceived in my mind (AT VII 25; CSM II 16–17). It doesn’t take much to understand that Descartes claims existence to be a sentient act; thus to exist, means to be alive. This fits well in Descartes dichotomous view of the mind (soul) and body. The mind (soul) thinks (metaphysically) and the body (physically) exists.Yet this statement has not been without its share of controversy; the primary criticism concerns itself with the implicit premise: “Whatever has the property of thinking, exists.” If in fact this is true (“…whatever has the property of thinking, exists”), does this apply to things that are not human? What about computers? A smart (complex) computer can be defined as thinking, does that mean it exists (has sentience)?And if in fact the computer has sentience, does that mean it can have a soul? [Hint: Watch 2001 a Space Odyssey if you have the time.] At the very least if a computer has sentience (or is HIGHLY intelligent) does it inherently have rights? -at least the right to life (and not be terminated arbitrarily). POST A LINK THAT SUPPORTS YOUR VIEW.
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.