InstructionsPlease review the“Young Goodman Brown” Response assignment documentfor instructions and specific grading criteria. Papers should be written using APA Style® format, including proper citation of sources. Resources on APA Style® may be found in the Course Overview and in the Internet Resources for this week.I have attached the pages of the chapter that needs too be read . I have also attached the rubric of how and what to follow. please carefully review all information… if the paper is missing any information it will not be accepted. BELOW IS ATTACHED COPIES OF THE PAGES NEEDED TO BE READ ALSO WHAT GUIDLINES NEEDS TO BE FOLLOWED FOR THIS PAPER“Young Goodman Brown” Short Answer Assignment
ENG 250 – American Literature
Graded out of 40
Review the details for this paper assignment. Once you have completed the paper and saved as a Word
document, you must submit the paper to your instructor via Turnitin (see “Young Goodman Brown”
Response – Submission in the Assignments for Week 2.)
For this assignment, you will read Nathaniel Hawthorne’s “Young Goodman Brown” (DiYanni, p.
391-399). After reading the story, analyze the following elements according to the guidelines and
1. Reference Citation: Complete an APA style reference page citation for the story, including the
title, author, and appropriate publication information.
2. Plot: Summarize the story. What are the main incidents in the story? What is the climax of the
story? How does the story end?
3. Structure: How are the incidents in the story arranged (for example, chronologically)? Are there
any instances of flashbacks and foreshadowing?
4. Type of Story: What type of short fiction is this? Is this a parable, fable, or short story, or does it
share elements of several of these? Be sure to support your answer with reasons for your
5. Characters: Who are the main characters in the story? What adjectives would you use to
characterize them? Who are the other characters, and what are their roles or impact on the story?
How would you describe the way that the characters speak (fast, slow, elegantly, lightly, angrily,
6. Setting: Where does the story take place? At what time does the story take place? Is the setting
symbolic? What adjectives would you use to describe the setting? Explain the setting vividly.
7. Symbolism: Are there any objects or events that serve as symbols in the story? What do the
symbols represent? How does the author make this clear to the reader?
8. Language and Style: How is the language appropriate for the audience? How is the language
appropriate for the story itself? How would you describe the author’s style (elegant, formal,
informal, harsh, cold, short, flowery, etc.)? Use specific examples to explain your answer.
9. Theme: Is there a theme (or, in the case of a children’s story, a moral) to the story? What is it? If
there is no theme/moral, why do you think there isn’t one? Does this theme/moral challenge or
confirm your values?
10. Historical Context: In your opinion, how does this story relate to its social and historical context?
What is Hawthorne trying to say, if anything, about this period of time in American history?
© Hondros College
Make sure to include a separate section, with a label, for each point listed above. You will lose
points for combining sections, or for not labeling each section. Separate your answers, even if you feel as
though you are repeating yourself. Answers that only refer to another section of the assignment, such as
“see the answer for Language and Tone,” are unacceptable. The lengths of each answer will vary;
however, be as thorough as possible, try to answer all of the questions within each category, and
apply the concepts discussed in your textbook and the course PowerPoints. Write as much as is
necessary to write to completely answer each question, but a 4-6 sentence paragraph will probably be
appropriate for each section.
Each question will be graded individually out of three, and the sum of those grades will make up the
bulk of the assignment grade. A grade of 3/3 is reserved for thorough, well-developed answers; a grade
of 2/3 means the answer missing some detail, but is good overall; a grade of 1/3 means the answer
deserves some credit, but needs some major work; and a grade of 0/3 means that the section either is
missing or doesn’t engage the questions at all.
Be certain to also revise and edit properly, as well as follow the formatting guidelines noted above.
Additionally, the assignment should include an APA formatted title page, Times New Roman 12 point
font, and 1inch margins. An abstract is not necessary.
“Young Goodman Brown” Short Answer Rubric
Effectiveness of answers: The student answers all the questions
based on the lectures and textbook readings, providing clear support
and logic for his or her ideas. This is the sum of individual grades
for each section.
Assignment is edited and revised properly: The essay is written
with clear, interesting, sound sentences; appropriate tone; a lack of
grammatical, mechanical, typographical, and punctuation errors.
Assignment follows formatting guidelines: The assignment has
an APA-style title page, uses Times New Roman 12 font, has
appropriate margins, and otherwise acceptably meets APA
standards. In addition, the assignment offers correct headers for
each section of the paper, and clearly delineates one answer from
Please see the rubric below for detailed grading information.
© Hondros College
Purchase answer to see full
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.